• Twitter Basic Black
  • Trip Advisor App Icon
  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Black Instagram Icon

109 West Oak Street, Arcadia, Florida 34266

Rosin Apartments
located on the second floor of

"The Pink Building"
Historic
Downtown Studio Apartments

Arcadia Florida

 

* Affordable: electricity & water included

*  Friendly

* Elevator accessible

* Walk to restaurants, shopping, post office, banks, salons, barbershops, churches

The property includes:

* Off-street parking

* Bar with pool tables, TV , entertainment and dance floor

 

 * Restaurant serving English cuisine and specialty tea
 

* Salon and barbershop

* Retail stores.

 

The Pink Building aka Rosen Arcade

101-117 West Oak Street, Arcadia Florida

One of the most remarkable examples of Florida architecture is the Rosin Arcade in Arcadia, 50 miles east of Sarasota in DeSoto County.

It was built when the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s was ending. A series of owners have restored the structure so that it survives as a gem of the city’s National Register Historic District.

The Rosin Arcade has arched windows on the second floor, gothic spires and a pink-and-white color scheme. The striking pink, as the story goes, was not meant to be a design statement.

The owner of the building was a contractor in the business of painting the steel in Florida bridges to stop them from rusting. He instructed his painting crew to mix together all the unused paint that had accumulated from various projects and use it to paint the building.

Red was a rust preventative in some of the paint and the addition of left-over white paint yielded what has been called “Cracker Eclectic”.

The 30,000-square-foot building was constructed by contractor Ralph Cannon for client Simon Rosin for $112,354, according to a 1926 newspaper article quoted in a recent history of the building by Carol Mahler.

Rosin moved to Arcadia in 1905, the same year a Thanksgiving Day fire destroyed most of the downtown. As a result, the town passed an ordinance requiring masonry construction.

Rosin opened a “Boston Store” in the building and leased half of it to the Post Office. He retired in 1939, and his employee C.E. Adams opened a men’s store in the space, Mahler writes. The arcade changed hands in 1947 when Dr. Louis W. Koch, a pharmacist in Arcadia from 1905 to 1965, opened a drugstore there.

Most of the building, in poor condition, was closed in 1976 before Len and Elida Hazen bought it in 1989 and restored it.